Qualifying for the DOT physical exam in Miami is one of the prerequisites for complying with the commercial driver’s license requirements. You must be evaluated and qualified by an authorized medical center, certified medical examiner. The DOT CDL exam assesses your physical capability before you take a commercial vehicle on road. The DOT CDL physical helps to ensure your safety and the safety of those driving around you.
If you need a DOT physical exam, there are a few things you should know. Let’s discuss them.
Who is Qualified to Conduct a DOT CDL Exam?
Only select medical practitioners certified by the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners have the authority to perform the DOT exam, qualify commercial drivers, and issue a medical card to those successfully passing the DOT physical exam requirements. Before you get your DOT physical, you must make sure that your examiner is certified to perform the exam.
How do I pass the DOT CDL Exam?
A DOT physical exam is a thorough evaluation, yet not all commercial drivers qualify for a medical card. Serious medical conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes are factors that need to be addressed before a driver can be qualified and issued a medical card. It is a matter of safety for you and the drivers around you.
What to Expect from the DOT Physical Examiner
The examiner conducting the DOT physical exam in Miami will be responsible to assess your ability to perform your job requirements as a commercial driver. You must obtain a medical card before you can acquire a commercial driver’s license.
Aspects You Will Be Assessed On
- Appearance: Height and weight will be evaluated and a thorough medical history will be recorded. The examiner will ask pertinent questions regarding the driver’s answers on the medical history forms.
- Eyesight: Eyesight will be evaluated with a Snellen eye chart. A minimum of 20/40 is required in each eye. You should also be able to differentiate between colors. An assessment will be performed to detect color blindness in the driver candidate.
- Hearing Ability: Another prerequisite of the DOT physical exam is that you must have sufficient hearing. A whisper test is performed with a requirement of at least one ear being able to hear a forced whisper from a distance of about 5 feet.
- Heart Rate/Blood Pressure: Heart rate must be under 100 bpm at rest and the blood pressure requirements are as follows:
1. Less than 140/90 for a 2-year certificate
2. 140-159/90-99 for a 1-year certificate
3. 160-179/100-109 for a 3-month temporary certificate
4. Greater than 180/110 is disqualifying
- Nervous and Skeletal System: Your reflexes as well as any physical limitation will be assessed as part of the DOT physical. This is critical before declaring you physically fit to operate a commercial vehicle.
The exam results are recorded on a DOT CDL physical form which is then submitted CDL database.
Are you ready to take the first step towards becoming a successful commercial truck driver? Call us today to set up an appointment today at one of our Miami-Dade, Broward, or Palm Beach locations (305) 389-9040!