Florida’s auto insurance coverage includes no-fault Personal Injury Protection (PIP), which covers up to $10,000 of accident-related medical expenses. This coverage is available to you regardless of who is at fault in the accident. However, in order to be eligible for this coverage, you must seek medical attention from an approved medical provider within14 days of the car accident. If you do not, you will forfeit your PIP coverage. 

What kinds of medical providers are covered under PIP?

According to Florida law, you can seek medical treatment from a hospital facility, emergency transport, medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, chiropractor, or dentist. At Miami Accident Center, we are chiropractors who understand Florida PIP coverage. We evaluate and treat injuries sustained in auto accidents, including accidents in which the injured person was a pedestrian or bicyclist. We also handle the PIP paperwork.

Even if your injuries seem minor, you should seek a medical evaluation within the two-week window. Some injuries worsen over time, particularly if left untreated. Other, seemingly minor injuries can be a sign of a bigger problem. You may think “it’s just a headache” but it could actually be the first warning signs of injuries to your spine, nervous system, or brain.                                        

What if I don’t seek treatment within 14 days?

Some symptoms don’t appear immediately. It’s not uncommon for a person to feel “fine” immediately after the accident, or within the first few days. When you do start feeling like something is wrong, you may not think to go to a doctor right away. 

When a person who is injured in an auto accident in Florida does not seek medical attention within the first 14 days, PIP coverage will be denied. However, that does not mean you will automatically be stuck with the bill should you seek medical treatment later. If you believe the other driver was negligent and caused the accident, in full or in part, you may be able to collect compensation with the aid of a personal injury attorney. 

What other professional help should I seek?

Besides your initial medical visit, you may need additional follow-up medical services. Because we see many people who have been involved in auto accidents, we have a vetted network of medical specialists, including orthopedic and neurosurgeons, to whom we refer our patients. Diagnostics such as Digital X-ray and MRI are done in-house, as well as, other specialty services that might be needed after a car accident.

We can also provide you with the names of trusted, qualified attorneys who specialize in personal injury should you need legal assistance in obtaining financial compensation for injuries caused by someone else’s negligence.

At Miami Accident Center, it’s important to us to treat the whole person. By providing referrals for our patients to qualified medical and legal services, we help our patients recover from their injuries and alleviate some of their stress. Call us today at (305)928-2828 so we can get you on the road to recovery and optimal health.

English English Español Español